ADVERTISEMENT

Inside nugget on the best OL since 2013

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
This year's offensive line has been grading out at a level OSU hasn't seen since the vaunted 2013 group, and the Fourth Wiseman had a nugget to pass along as to why. He had two words:

KEVIN WILSON

Wilson is the assigned to the TEs and is the Co-OC, but he has been acting as OL coach 1A to Stud's 1B since Ryan Day took over the job. Stud still handles the daily meetings, but Ryan Day was ready to promote Wilson to OC/OL coach this past offseason when Stud not so quietly interviewed with Mike Locksley at Maryland for the OL position. This was ready to go and aided by the fact that Day would be calling plays and would avoid the Ed Warinner OC/OL disaster of 2015/2016.

Wilson's eye for development has been lauded, as he developed Trent Williams, Jammal Brown, Phil Loadholt, and Dalvin Joseph into 1st round picks and very very good NFL players. Those players all went on to large second contracts after being starters from Day 1 on their NFL rosters. Trent Williams is the gold standard for NFL LTs, and Wilson has studied him with our tackles in an effort to show how he transformed a MEGA-athlete into a technician and student of the game...

The Fourth Wiseman also brings up some of the technical nuances that helped us throw Thayer in at LT last year and help him have an outstanding sophomore year that now has him trending towards being a very high draft pick (going against Chase Young everyday also helps haha). Brandon Bowen stepping in and playing at a high level at a spot he has never started a game at speaks volumes as to what Wilson can do with tackles...

The Fourth Wiseman also told me to check out the 2:22 mark of Ryan Day's post game conference. I gave it a listen, and I think the order in which he names people is significant...

As always TIFWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News