ADVERTISEMENT

Just some thoughts on the game........

V-BCoach

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
- WR Blocking might be the one thing that won this game. On the last two TDs, it was the reason each play went from a first down to a touchdown. I am not sure who to credit on that one really. I am sure Hartlein emphasizes it and works on it. But they are REALLY good at it. You might have to tip your hat some to the previous coach too. On that last TD, #83's block got 3 guys. 3 GUYS!!!

- Screens!!! I ask for them all the time. Last night, I asked @Ross Fulton for them. Then, right after I asked, they ran one for a TD. THANK YOU!!! That DL was teeing off on OSU. You have to slow them down and give them something to think about. I wish NW had used them a few times when the scUM DL was sacking their QB.

- Calling a screen on your own 4 yard line? Wow!!! Now, I just said screens were big for OSU. However, it takes a sack to call one on your own 4. I hope now that is on film teams will be passive on the blitzes. As a DC, it should be in the back of your mind for the rest of the season now if you are going against the Buckeyes.

- Chase Young....... he just needed the reps. I have said it before. A player usually gets to a point where they can only get better with game reps. Chase was like that. That first game, he was fine rushing the QB. However, his run responsibilities were terrible. They got it on film, worked on it, and bam, he is better at it. That shows me something about his work ethic. He is willing to fix the things he isn't good at instead of just trying to sack the QB all the time.

- Jonathan Cooper isn't getting enough credit. He was good last night from my perspective. Really, several guys have picked up the slack with Bosa out. I would put Cornell and Hamilton in there with Cooper. They are getting snaps now and their play has been really good to solidify things up front.

- Spy the QB!!!! I don't understand why it stopped. Now, there were a few times the OGs climbed and got on the backers to keep them from spying. On passes, they couldn't do that so the spying was easier. On designed runs, they were getting upfield and getting on those guys. However, there were a couple of plays where those backers bailed out to the deep flats for some reason and McSorely was off and running.

- Trace McSorley, all the respect in the world for that dude. He is a winner because he didn't lose that game, OSU won it. A few weeks ago I was not impressed by him. Last night, he was the best player on the field. I didn't say he was the most talented. However, last night he played better than anyone else. Also, his team believes in him. Honestly, I thought he was their JT Barrett. You HAVE to account for his legs. They are a big part of his game so don't take away from his play because he can run it.

- Yeah, probably not the greatest call. However, the OSU defensive call was the perfect call against that play call. Had PSU done a zone read where they went outside zone or QB keep, OSU would have been in trouble. Instead, it was the perfect defensive play call against PSU.

- I will always say this......... in order to be a champion, you have to win a game that you probably shouldn't have. We saw this last night. You aren't always on your A game. The other team is really good. You are on the road. You have been outplayed. Yet, OSU found a way to win. You see it all the time. Such and such barely beat this team and should have lost it. Well, that was last night. Champions find a way to win and OSU did that.

- Ben Victor made 3 dudes miss him on his TD catch. He also got two really good blocks downfield. That is just the definition of "making a play". Urban praised him so much after the game and deservedly so. A backup made the play and turned the momentum to win the game. It was a HUGE play. The play design on that doesn't look for a long TD. It was a crossing route. You don't say "Catch it, make 3 guys miss, get some blocks from your brothers, and then take it to the house". He made a play.

- I didn't get to see too many games yesterday other than OSU. I was driving home from my alma mater's homecoming and listened to the scUM game. That was a double edged sword. They let a team get up on them 17-0. Gary got injured. Patterson was rattled (according to the announcers I was listening to). Then, they came back. Like OSU, they won a game they shouldn't have. Their guys will be believing after this one.

- I loved that Frost called out his team for their lack of discipline. He is right, they do not have discipline. Those highlights showed that. Now, what does he do about it? That will be telling. I also loved what Franklin said after the game. He called his guys out too. Instead of sitting back and being OK with how well they played, he chose to be hard on his guys and push them. Now, how will he do that? That will be interesting too.

That is all I have. Its been a long, hard, hard week for me. Yesterday was a nice day with a great win by the Buckeyes and I really needed that. Hope everyone enjoys this week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News