ADVERTISEMENT

Making up ground on a top 50 prospect?

Alex Gleitman

Junior
Jul 8, 2019
y7recxwhypp2epdwypx2

***SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PARTNER INFINIT NUTRITION FOR SPONSORING "A-DECK"! CHECK THEM OUT AND GET SOME HANDCRAFTED CUSTOM PROTEIN & RECOVERY MADE FOR YOU!

Welcome back for another edition of “A-Deck” at BuckeyeGrove.com, presented by Infinit Nutrition, where I’ll bring you thoughts, what I’m hearing, inside scoop, tidbits, and more for Ohio State recruiting and team coverage, every Wednesday.

Last week’s A-Deck provided a stock report on a number of Ohio State 2021 targets, and put a 2022 linebacker on the radar for fans.

This week I take a look at some buzz around the Buckeyes’ growing chances with a top 50 prospect, as well as the latest on a pair of 2022 targets.

CONFIDENCE GROWING FOR CHANCES OF LANDING DAVIS

Ohio State has been recruiting Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei 2021 linebacker Raesjon Davis for quite some time, including even after the nation’s No. 48 overall player and No. 2 outside linebacker committed to LSU in January.

In talking to sources close to the Buckeyes, confidence has not been that high for the last few months that they could flip Davis from the Tigers, but they were hopeful that he would make an official visit (whenever it’s allowed), which would at least give them a chance to make one more real pitch.

That tune has changed a bit over the last month or so, and while nobody is expecting a flip, saying it’s going to happen, or even very confident that it could happen, I’m getting a sense of cautious optimism in this recruitment. The best way one source put it to me was that Davis has gone into the category of “big longshot” to “realistic target”.

I spoke briefly with Davis over the weekend and he told me that he’s been speaking to both Al Washington and Corey Dennis nearly every day, and that the staff continues to push for him hard. The plan, as of today, is indeed to make an official visit to Ohio State (among a few other places) when things open back up, and naturally that visit will be key if the Buckeyes do want to pull the flip off.

Again, I’ll caution that this is not a probable scenario at the current time. Davis is still in constant communication with the LSU coaches and has been recruiting other targets for the Tigers, I am told. But, with OSU seemingly ramping up their efforts and getting good feedback from the prospect, as well as having a visit hopefully in the fall, there is growing optimism here. Getting teammate Jaylin Davies to visit and commit would certainly be an additional helper for the Scarlet & Gray as well.

reioxhzww7lbfbr9frco

LATEST ON PAIR OF 2022 TARGETS

Gabe Powers

Marc touched on 2022 Ohio linebacker Gabe Powers in his Skull Session on Monday, but I also spoke to Powers, as well as a source in the know in his recruitment, to see if there was anything to the message board rumors going around about an imminent commitment.

Gabe told me that he “doesn’t know where people are getting that from” regarding the rumors of an upcoming pledge, but he did add “maybe we’ll see” regarding a decision in the near future. He told me that he needs to discuss things with his family and that nothing is set in stone right now, so those discussions will absolutely need to happen before any sort of timeline is carved out.

In speaking with a source in the know here, I got similar info. I think originally the plan may have been to make some visits this spring and summer, play out his junior season, and decide sometime after the season. Now the source feels that plan could still be in play, but, echoing Powers, mentioned that there is some talk about making the call in the near future, should he know for sure where he wants to go. It seems right now the family is going to pass on making a commitment in the immediate future, and are leaning towards waiting to make at least a few visits first, but we'll see if that changes, as the thought is in their minds.

I made a FutureCast for the Buckeyes back in the fall when they offered, and I feel really good about that pick. Powers told me Al Washington has been speaking to his coach every week, and that he “has a very good feeling about them (Ohio State)” right now. I think this is a matter of when versus if, so stay tuned.

Zion Branch

With some extra time on their hands right now, Ohio State’s staff went in a little deeper on the 2022 class as far as evaluations and extending offers go last week. One player who received the good news from the Buckeyes was Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman defensive back Zion Branch.

“It felt great,” Branch told me following his call with the staff. “I know how big of school Ohio State is athletically, but also, more importantly, how big of a school they are academically. Knowing they are interested in me is a big deal for me.”

Branch and his father spoke with Matt Barnes, Kerry Coombs, and Ryan Day, where the parties really just got acquainted with each other and the staff let the Branch’s know about the offer. They did talk a little bit about where they see him playing, though.

“We didn’t talk much about football just yet, but I could fit in at both nickel corner and safety for them,” he shared.

Branch told me he plans to visit Columbus once things open back up. He’s far off from a decision, but reiterated that the Buckeyes would be a program he highly considers.

“Ohio State will definitely be a school I consider when it’s time to make my decision,” he stated. “They offer some important things that a lot of schools don’t offer, which is talking about life after football. They really impressed my family and I.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News