ADVERTISEMENT

My Annual Post to our Buckeyes during Xichigan game we

FlaPete

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
I have been watching OSU Michigan games for 50 years. I don’t presume to set the game plan for the coaches or know how to help the players be at their best. But in my days, these’s definitely a few things about this game that never change, specifically about how scUM plays football against Ohio State:

1. Watch out for misdirection play, esp screens and backside throws. I can’t tell you how many big plays I’ve seen them make in every decade by using our DL speed and aggression against us for a back door screen where somebody gets sucked in or doesn’t stay home and they get a big play.

2. Watch out for “fight play”. Of course the most egregious example was the planned gang up on Dontre Wilson, which cost us 2 starters and really could have cost us Braxton Miller as the offense came onto the field and he got involved. But usually they are more subtle: they are masters at running their mouth or taking cheap shot or throwing at elbow at the end of the play when the ref isn’t looking, then we retaliate and get the 15 yard flag. I’ve seen it repeatedly on TV and it’s much more apparent when you’re in the stadium and can see the whole field and the “action away from the action”. Don’t take their bait. The urban myth that this is a “clean game of mutual respect” is a bunch of BS. scUM likes to take cheap shots and get OSU to respond w cheap penalties.

3. Play your game, and don’t flinch in the moment. The team that played cleanly against Purdue or MSU will win. But sometimes we get a little wound up (like against PSU) and make unforced errors that keep Michigan alive when they should be dead.

4. Prepare for a 4 quarter game. We may be way ahead early, but there’s also been a lot of games that went down to the wire.

5. Don’t say ANYTHING to the media about the game except that TTUN is really good and will be the biggest challenge of the season. Bulletin Board statement don’t win games; but it’s been uncanny how an overconfident OSU team has said something silly the week of the game only to become a target for scUM.

6. Play physical and fast. We have the better team if we bring the lumber in all 3 phases. Offensive and Defensive lines are what wins these games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News