ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on 2016 season and beyond.....

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
First of all let me tell you that I haven't read a single post on this board for the past 24 hours---so I have no idea what other people's takes, thoughts or opinions are on these matters---so we may overlap, or I may be totally off the deep end....but it will be unvarnished for sure...

1) The gameplan was mind boggling. I texted Barton EARLY in the game that Ohio State should just line it up and run right at these guys. I have no clue why we felt like that wouldn't work. Everything we do hinges off the ability of us to a) run inside and b) have the QB present a viable running option

We did neither.

Just an epic fail on the part of the entire offensive staff.

2) I may be in the minority, but I felt the defense balled out. They competed. They caused turnovers. They stopped Clemson after our mistakes. Them giving up 31 was totally misleading. They deserved better.

3) The Tyler Durbin experiment was cute but can't be repeated. I am not bagging on the kid. I'm bagging on a process that ends up with us having to take a field goal kicker from James Madison. We are freaking Ohio State--you went to Australia to get a punter. You are telling me that given that soccer is the world's game that we couldn't find some kid in Iceland, Lichentstein or Kenya that could kick a ball?? Heck, even the world's most interesting man could line up with a coconut and kick it between two giraffes necks.....

4) I think JT Barrett deserves his share of the criticism. 1/11th for sure....but he was not "THE" problem last night. Any talk of replacing him is just silly. Throw ANY of our other QB's into that scenario, with that lineplay, those wide receivers and that game plan? Yikes

5) The good news is that losing that way may bring a couple of guys back. If anyone was on the fence before yesterday--a performance like that may be enough to convince them to give us one more season.

6) I still rate the season an "A". A+ is when you win the NC. Any season that we beat Michigan and make the final four with the youngest team in college football? Has to be an A --- at worst an A- for how it ended. Anything less is just silly talk ---- Perspective people.....show of hands of people that thought we would be in the college football playoff THIS year? Not many

7) There WILL be changes on the offensive side of the ball. Has to be. Sometimes it takes an epic fail like that to force your hand. Consider Meyer's hand forced. And he has the PERFECT guy in waiting in Kevin Wilson. Have no idea what other staff shuffling that will be done--but Meyer will not stand pat on that side of the ball

8) I'm saddened by how it ended--as the seasons always seem to fly by as we get older. Can't wait for next year......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News