ADVERTISEMENT

New FutureCasts, Nation's top prospect decommits from Clemson

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
5db66444c08d8-JFQSkull.jpg
·Extremely low rates, Work directly with the owner of the company, and work with a Buckeye

·Free $500 appraisal credit on any purchase or refinance for you or any referral sent

·Accredited Better Business Bureau member

·NMLS # 1639493

Resetting the DB group

Spots aren't yet completely filled in the Ohio State secondary for the 2021 class, but we're now at the point where each new commitment could have a ripple effect and Ohio State is still in very good position for several guys that they really like. Most notably Ohio State is, in my opinion, the preferred destination right now for four-star prospects Kamar Wilcoxson, Jaylin Davies and Derrick Davis Jr.

If I had to put in picks for Davies and Davis right now, I would probably go with Ohio State for each player. I've had a pick in for Wilcoxson to Ohio State since his decommitment from Florida last month.

This afternoon, however, I changed my pick on Wilcoxson to Alabama. There is no question at this point that Ohio State's top remaining need in the secondary is for another pure cornerback to go with J.K. Johnson and Devona Smith. They need three true corners in this class. I also believe that as things stand today, it is Davis Jr. ahead of Wilcoxson on the wish list. So for that reason, I tend to think Wilcoxson ends up somewhere other than Columbus. Since I can't just hit the undo button on my OSU pick and reset it, I have to change it to another school and I believe the school that benefits most from this scenario is Alabama.

I don't think things are dead in the water for OSU and Wilcoxson by any means, but as a long term projection here, I no longer feel that the most likely scenario is Kamar ending up in Columbus.

As for Jaylin Davies, I again think that OSU is the preferred spot right now. Does he need to visit first? I believe that is probably a "yes" so long as things open back up soon. If we see more delays, I could see both sides just coming together on this with a good faith agreement that Jaylin will make his way to Columbus as quickly as possible once things do open up.

I also think that despite some recent PSU buzz, that OSU is still the team to beat for Davis Jr. I see it right now as OSU/PSU/Clemson and probably in that order with UGA making a strong push recently and LSU starting to get more involved.

I'm told that privately Davis has a top five that he's working with right now but it is unclear whether or not that will be released publicly in the near term. My guess is that he will release that at some point and then try to schedule official visits to all five programs, which means this won't be over until at least August and there is some talk that he could just wait until after the season.

That's probably not the worst thing for Ohio State who will have more time to sort everything out. I am told, however, that the Buckeyes would be ready to take his pledge, and so with that in mind I have a tentative pick in for OSU to land him, but knowing that this still has a ways to go in all likelihood.

Again, neither the Davis or Wilcoxson FutureCasts are things where I expect to see validation or movement in the coming days. I think we're probably talking a timeline of months here, but I trust the information I've gathered on those situations over the past few days.

Before anyone responds with a "what about Grimes?" post, which I know will happen if I don't mention Tony, I just don't see him really figuring into the math of this class. I think they'll chase him until December and let the chips fall where they may. So if he wants in later, sure, they'll take him, but I also don't see them letting it get to the point where it's December and they NEED another corner and are leaving themselves at the mercy of what he decides.

Foreman decommits from Clemson

The nation's top ranked prospect in the 2021 recruiting class, Corona (Cali.) Centennial defensive end Korey Foreman decommitted from Clemson on Monday afternoon after recent speculation that he might be looking around.

Have talked with a few important people about Foreman over the past 24 hours and it certainly looks like USC has done the dirty work for the rest of the programs who have been trying to get Foreman off that early Clemson pledge. As one source put it to me last night, USC has been really hammering home to Foreman the idea that Clemson not wanting him to take visits was not only unrealistic in today's landscape, but that it was a way of trying to control him.

While some may call that negative recruiting, or as I refer to it 'recruiting', clearly that has been taken to heart by Foreman who will now certainly make some rounds once the NCAA clears prospects to do so.

Before the commitment to Clemson, Ohio State was one school that was in the mix for Foreman and was hoping to get a spring visit from the five-star prospect. Obviously the question now, at least on this site, is going to be what this means for OSU and whether or not the Buckeyes can get back into play here.

But it's going to take two to tango. Ohio State is undoubtedly interested in Foreman, who wouldn't be? But communicating with Foreman recently has been a tough task according to sources in Columbus. Will that change now that a public decommitment has been made? Perhaps, but there is no reason to think that Ohio State is in a strong position here.

They'll try to get back into this and they'd certainly love to get a visit and will push for one, but until Foreman is more receptive, there isn't much to see here. USC is the big beneficiary right now and I think it could be tough for other schools to pry him away from the Trojans.

With that being said, this one could go a while. If it does, USC's performance and coaching situation could certainly come into play this fall and allow for teams like OSU, Georgia, and Clemson (who certainly won't stop recruiting Korey) to swoop in. But for now, I need to see and hear evidence that Foreman is reciprocating communication with Ohio State before I start going around telling you guys to get your hopes up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News