ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Notes from my time at IMG Academy today

Joseph Hastings

Junior
Staff
Jul 20, 2017
Hey all,

I usually run my 3-2-1 articles on Thursdays, but that was not the case today.

I just got back from IMG Academy in Bradenton (Florida). Several Ohio State targets play for the Ascenders, so I did not want to miss the team in one of their first practices of the year.

There was not a lot to see in terms of gathering clips and whatnot; none of the players were in pads, and most of the drills we saw them partake in were basic ones.

I did want to share a few notes from what I saw and heard, however, earlier today.

The most interesting news of the day involved Jihaad Campbell.

Listed as a weak-side defensive end on his profile, Campbell told me as of a few weeks ago that Ohio State was pursuing him as an edge rusher. Now, he told me that he’s being recruited as a linebacker, and Al Washington is becoming his primary person of contact on the staff.

Campbell definitely has all the attributes you want from an LB; tall yet his athleticism doesn’t come at the expense of his height, he can move well and change his direction quickly, and is a big dude. IMG’s media guide has him listed at 6-foot-3, 211 pounds, and his wingspan is 77.5 inches.

The only concern here is that Campbell has yet to schedule his official visit to Ohio State, and wouldn’t say if the program is guaranteed one from him. He has ones set up to Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma in June.

For the first time, I had a chance to speak with Rivals250 prospect Nick James.

James told me he has a “great relationship” with both Larry Johnson and Ryan Day. The defensive tackle actually said that he was on a Zoom call with the staff just last week.

In case you don’t recall, James is slated to take an official visit to Ohio State the weekend of June 4-6. He is looking forward to getting up there and seeing the coaches, as well as seeing CJ Hicks, who has been the commit he’s spoken with the most.

Overall, James says his interest in the Buckeyes stems from Johnson’s ability to develop defensive linemen.

I will have an update on James tomorrow, so stay tuned!

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

A couple of other points:

- Kaytron Allen, a Rivals250 running back, says Ohio State is no longer pursuing him. This is not too much of a surprise as the Buckeyes’ primary targets at the position are Dallan Hayden, Damari Alston, Gavin Sawchuk, Nicholas Singleton and Omarion Hampton.

He looked pretty good out there today and will be a solid addition wherever he goes, so best of luck to Allen at the next level.

- Malik Bryant, a top-20 sophomore on Rivals, confirmed to me again that he will be visiting Ohio State in June. Bryant, who was offered by the staff in January, referred to the program as one of the top schools in his recruitment.

Also, the Buckeyes are looking for him to play the hybrid linebacker/DE role (the “Bullet” position).

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News