ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Game Thoughts

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Yesterday was a busy one so I didn't get a chance to rewatch until this afternoon.

- First of all, I think Nevada said it best in the staff predictions piece. Urban Meyer was put on this earth to coach in games like that. Best in the business in those types of games. That group wasn't the least bit intimidated or hesitant.

- I kept it as PC as possible in my prediction leading up the game. I actually switched my pick from what I would have expected a couple of weeks ago. Ultimately I could not bring myself to pick Bob Stoops over Urban Meyer in a big game. That's a 14-point OSU advantage before things even kickoff.

- I thought the interior of the defensive line quietly played well. Landers made a few splash plays and Dre'Mont Jones had several hurries, he was able to get penetration and disrupt the flow of the Oklahoma offense on several occasions. Limiting Perine to 60 yds and 17 carries shouldn't be sneezed at, I think it bodes well moving forward against power running teams.

- Malik Hooker is so, so gone. Everyone notices the highlight reel INT's, but the way he closes things off both in the short passing game and in the running game is incredible. Mixon ripped off a nice run at one point, but it may have been a touchdown against a lesser safety, Hooker completely erased the seam it looked like Mixon had and made the play. And Mixon is FAST, fast enough to run away from Gareon Conley on the KR and to not be caught by Parris Campbell, two of the fastest Buckeyes. Hooker closed on him like it was nothing.

- He's not so, so gone (yet) but Marshon Lattimore is playing at an extremely high level right now. First half slip aside, he has been about as dominant as any player on this defense. He has been every bit as good as Conley through three games, if not better, and teams are going to have to stop picking on him soon. Really amazing how well this secondary is playing already. Denzel Ward is also giving them solid play.

- Interesting situation at linebacker right now with Baker's emergence. Does he run himself out of plays sometimes? Yes. But he makes a ton of plays because of his speed. He twice cut off Oklahoma backs who looked like they were going to easily turn the corner for big gains. I don't view this as a problem. Having a fourth linebacker that you trust and that gives you position versatility, isn't a problem. My guess would be he stays in the lineup, but if not, now there is a four-man rotation. Depth is never bad.

- Will be curious to read Ross Fulton's breakdown this week, thought Schiano did a lot more this week than we saw the first two weeks. A lot of moving guys around pre-snap, showing blitz often, even if it didn't come.

- Mike Weber is getting better each week. No more shoe string tackles and this guy just always falls forward.

- Once again have to tip my cap to the offensive line. Played very well against an athletic front, Michael Jordan is going to be a star. Jamarco Jones has really done a nice job at left tackle.

- I wanted to see ZERO JT Barrett carries in the final 8-10 minutes of that game. Think he might have had two, so we're getting there LOL. Kills me watching Barrett get stacked up and twisted around by 300-pound D-Linemen with a three score fourth quarter lead.

- What more can be said about Noah Brown? That might have been the greatest catch I've ever seen. His presence makes this team so much better in the red zone because he doesn't just win 50/50 balls, he wins 25/75 balls.

- Curtis Samuel was once again tremendous. We'll be able to stop calling it the Harvin role now, Meyer finally has that true H that can be a tailback or a receiver. Special.

- I like Parris Campbell on kickoff return. As long as the ball security is there, I think he's made for it. Has the size to run through tackles and once he hits the seam, it's over.

- Need to clean up the penalties a bit. Inexperience and being on the road and wanting so badly to make things happen led to a few more penalties than I would like and killed a drive or two. That is one area where this team can improve moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News