ADVERTISEMENT

On the search to replace Hafley

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Spoke with a couple of people this afternoon who have direct knowledge of the hiring process that OSU is going to go through to replace Jeff Hafley.

Biggest takeaways from those conversations:

1. The two huge points of emphasis right now are on securing the signatures on Wednesday for this 2020 recruiting class as well as preparing for Clemson.

2. The two huge points of emphasis right now are on securing the signatures on Wednesday for this 2020 recruiting class as well as preparing for Clemson.

3. The search will be a thorough one and all avenues will be explored. The preference, however, is an NFL hire. A younger up-and-comer is also the preference. Again, that doesn't eliminate anyone, but that is the ideal candidate, basically Hafley 2.0.

4. What does this mean for Chris Ash? As I said yesterday, he'll be on the list somewhere and is a person of interest but the philosophical differences are going to be a big hurdle. I think Ash is unlikely, though certainly not impossible.

5. What about Kerry Coombs? I kind of put him in the Ash category in terms of being a person of interest but I don't know that Coombs is really trying to leave his job in the NFL, just don't think the timing is right there but not crossing him off the list at this point either.

6. The two huge points of emphasis right now are on securing the signatures on Wednesday for this 2020 recruiting class as well as preparing for Clemson.

7. Do not expect this to be a quick search. Ohio State has all the time in the world here to find the best possible candidate. There is really nothing that can be done at this point from a recruiting standpoint in terms of visits or anything like that and the new hire won't be involved in CFP preparations. We're also two weeks away from the end of the NFL regular season so NFL candidates will be more available and willing to talk at that point.

8. The two huge points of emphasis right now are on securing the signatures on Wednesday for this 2020 recruiting class as well as preparing for Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News