ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HS coaches stepping down at alarming rate

V-BCoach

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
I labeled this as off topic, but it is most definitely sports related. In my area, the Dayton, OH area, coaches of all kinds of HS sports are stepping down at an alarming rate. In my local paper today, they did an article about yet another local basketball coach stepping down. As far as they could tell, he is the 16th local boys basketball coach to step down. LINK

This article followed another on all of the girls HS basketball coaching changes. I can tell you they list 11 of them in this article and they do not have all of them. LINK

This winter sport follows a massive turnover from the fall football season. So far, they have tracked 17 head football coaching changes in my area. Here is an article on that. LINK

All of these coaches were not losing. Several of them were having winning seasons. I know several of the people on all three of these lists. The popular reason for stepping down is to "spend time with family". Now this is true. However, its not all of the truth. The $5000 or so that you get to be the head coach is NOT worth the time and heart ache you deal with IMHO. Its not that these people do not want to work or that they do not love the sport. Its a simple matter of measuring whether or not the work is worth the payoff.

On my schedule for next season, 10 games to be exact, I will be facing five new head coaches and two second year coaches. My league, the GWOC, which ends after this season, will have 6 of the 20 head football coaches starting their first season at their school next year.

I wondered if I could get input on this. Here is what I am asking, but feel free to make any comments on thoughts you have.
1) Is this happening in your area?

2) Do you know how much your head coaches are getting paid?

3) How many of you coach, or have coached, at the high school level and are seeing this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News