ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Shaving

NewYorkBuck

All-conference
Aug 11, 2015
Ok, its March so yet another OT topic.

How often and how do you guys get it done? Electric? Multi-blade? Wet shaving?

By "wet shaving," essentially what I mean is shaving with an old-school double edge safety razor, which I began to do in 2008. Breaking down my experience -

Pros -

Cost - a decent razor can be had for ~$15 and blades can be had for 5 cents each. Much different than $5 per cartridge for sure.

Quality - there is no question once you get the hang of it your shaves and face will look better. I used to get ingrowns and irritation all the time. Those are now a thing of the past.

Enjoyment - I used to hate shaving. Just another PITA thing to do before I get out the door. Now I look forward to my shaves. Effectively, I turned a chore into a hobby.

Cons -

Time - it just takes longer to shave w a DE razor. But for me its now ten minutes I enjoy vs three minutes I hated.

Learning curve - shaving w a DE takes about a month or so to learn for most. You will nick yourself along the way. If you stop, you will stop during this month. If you persevere, you will never look back.

Cost - I know I said cost was a pro above, but with a caveat. Yes, you can shave w an inexpensive razor with Gillette foam and do just fine. That said, I started over ten years ago and as it stands I now have over 10 razors, 5 brushes, 20 soaps, 10 creams, and enough blades to last past my lifetime. Trying stuff is fun, but even with that, as far as hobbies go, this is a pretty cheap one.

Since I started, I've converted my brother, my brother-in-law, two friends, and my wife and her cousin. Pretty much everyone who tries it and makes it a month stays with it.

Like any hobby, there are a few sites dedicated to this endeavor with commensurate information. Badger and blade is where I typically go these days.

Anyone else?

Reactions: chicagoBuck38
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News