ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wrestling. Ohio State vs Iowa Friday night on B1G network 8 pm est

Dar.of.Emur

Sophomore
Aug 11, 2015
Ohio
Ohio State vs Iowa tomorrow night !
in Iowa / Carver-Hawkeye arena. 8 pm eastern. Big Ten Network.
Set your DVRs if you cant watch live.
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/012517aaa.html

Before we get too excited about our chances:
1. Kyle Snyder is wrestling for team USA this weekend oversees.
2. Carver-Hawkeye arena is the toughest place to be as a visiting team. Like a football night-game at Penn State x 10.
3. Even with #2, we'd probably win. But with #1 above - we probably lose the dual.
4. Note, below I predict a win for tOSU. But, I am bias and have tOSU winning the swing matches. I would not put money on tOSU winning, tho.

125- (NR) Jose Rodriguez vs (#1) Thomas Gilman
Gilman is a likely national champ this year. Jose started the year off very very strong, but he got outscored 22-2 in the last two matches. The weight cut to 125 seems to be taking its toll on him, as expected. He didnt wrestle last week against Maryland. I would not be surprised if he was held out again as they try to rehab him for March... and give him more time to actually eat and keep his nutrition up to par. If he can get back to form and wrestle like he did in December, he can AA this year.
Prediction: If Jose wrestles, Gilman will either win by major or tech. Iowa 5-0

133- (#1) Nathan Tomasello vs (#3) Cory Clark
NaTo is kicking ass this year. Clear #1 as of now. But, Clark is a returning finalist at this weight and will be wrestling at home. Clark is not 100% and just lost a very close matches to Brock from Oklahoma State.
Prediction: as I said last year. I never bet against NaTo. He wins a close match. 1 takedown match Iowa 5-3.

141- (#13) Luke Pletcher vs (#19) Topher Carton
True swing match. Carton is senior, first year as a starter. Good wrestler, not great. Luke is a blue chip true freshman, wrestling up a weight (for our injured Key-shawn Hayes). This is a toss up. I think Luke "can" win, and is the better technical wrestler. But, he is facing a senior in Carver Hawkeye arena.
Prediction: Luke trails going into 3rd then (like last week) Carton hits a wall and Luke gets late takedown and ride out for a 1 point win. OSU 6-5.

149- (#5) Micah Jordan vs (#3) Brandon Sorensen
Match of the weekend in NCAAs. I am really looking forward to seeing this. No pundit is picking Micah. Sorensen lost two close matches to Collica of Okl St (in OT, in Stillwater) and took Zain Retherford of Penn State to double OT. The fact that he took untouchable Retherford to OT is huge. Thus, why most pundits dont give Micah any respect here. Key to the match will be Micah on bottom. If he can get out, then I think he can win. If he gets rode out like he did at NCAAs last year... then that will be the difference in a close match.
Prediction: may be my homer instinct, but Micah wins this. I like the fact that no one gives him a chance. Micah has a history of winning these close matches like he did in high school vs Dean Heil. Micah is really good on his feet, and can takedown anyone in the nation. Depending on how the match is going, dont be surprised if he chooses neutral instead of down.
I could be wrong, and it would not be shocking. But, before the season I picked Micah to finish runner up at nationals to Retherford.. and I'm sticking to it.
tOSU 9-5

157 (NR) Jake Ryan vs (#2) Michael Kemerer
Kemerer is a redshirt freshman and wrestling very well. Ryan is regressing and just not having a good year.
Prediction: Bet your 401k on (at least) a major decision here for Kemerer. Possibly a tech. Will go with major. Tied 9-9 at this point.

165 (NR) Cody Burcher vs (NR) Gunther (cant remember 1st name).
toss up of unranked guys. No idea.
There is a small chance Iowa takes Alex Marinelli out of redshirt. If so, Marinelli wins. But, I think Iowa realizes they cannot win NCAA this year and keep him in redshirt.
Predication: I like Burcher. As an non-blue chip guy, he wrestles very well and 'can' beat most guys ranked higher than 15. C-H arena may play a role here. But, I'll take Burcher.
tOSU 13-9

174 (#1) Bo Jordan vs (#10) Alex Meyer
If BoJo wrestles (chronic foot issue), he 'should' win. But, he has only seen a few matches this year so not sure if he is at peak performance as of yet. And, not sure how much the foot is affecting his attacks. Alex Meyer is a previous AA, and just beat (Junior world champ) Mark Hall last week.
Prediction. BoJo in non-major. If healthy, the only two guys that 'can' be BoJo at this weight are Venencia of Az State, and Mark Hall of Penn State.
tOSU 16-9

184 (#9) Myles Martin vs (#4) Sammy Brooks
Toss up match. Martin kills guys that are out of the top 10. But, this year at this weight, he is struggling vs top 10 guys. Giving up a lot of takedowns. Brooks is very good, and its at C-H arena.
Prediction: Brooks, non-major. Like 9-5.
tOSU 16-13

197 (#4) Kollin Moore vs (NR) Willke
Moore should win this. If neutral site, I'd say major. But at C-H arena, will expect just a decision.
tOSU 20-13 (which would seal the dual)

265 (NR) Josh Fox vs (NR) Holloway.
This should have been Kyle Snyder vs Stoll. Both ranked in top 5. But, Kyle is wrestling on a bigger stage this week for team USA in Russia, and Stoll blew out his knee recently.
This match of backups, could determine the dual. Ironically.
Predication: Since at Iowa, will take the Iowa backup.
tOSU 20-16
But, the Sorenson-Micah match could very well flip-flop and then Iowa wins 19-17. (The 165 match could also easily go Iowa's way).

Reactions: b7elfring
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News