ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff rankings prediction

RyanDonnelly

Recruiting Analyst
Apr 13, 2014
Somewhere in North Campus
playoffs-o.gif

That's right folks, the first official College Football Playoff committee rankings are debuting tonight on ESPN at 7 PM. Here's who I've got making the cut:

Top Four

1. Ohio State - Say what you want about the controversy surrounding the quarterbacks or the dismal play against Northern Illinois and Indiana early in the year, the committee has seen what the Buckeyes' best can look like after they dominated Penn State and Rutgers.With the assurances made by Meyer that Barrett will be back on the team for Illinois (although not guaranteed the starting gig), the committee has no reason to doubt Ohio State any more. You can't make a better statement than 49-7 over Rutgers (well, 49-0, but you get the point). The Buckeyes are the reigning champs and I still believe that they have the highest ceiling of any team in the country

2. LSU - The committee seems to love a good story line and I'm not sure there's been a more exciting one than watching Leonard Fournette make freakishly large and athletic football players look like little boys in the SEC all year. With the emergence of Brandon Harris was an above-average quarterback recently and the continued dominance of Fournette, the Bayou Bengals are in a good position to make the initial top four for the committee. This may be a placeholder spot though, because Bama is going to be a challenge.

3. Clemson - Deshaun Watson dropping dimes and Dabo dancing in the locker rooms has left a strong enough impression on the committee to warrant them a playoff spot in my eyes. They've got a big test against the Seminoles in what's likely the de-facto ACC championship, but I'll buy on the Tigers. You need a strong passing game to win against top defenses and Clemson can carve up their opponents when they have to.

4. TCU - Baylor would have been comfortably in the top four, but with the very unfortunate injury to Seth Russell - who I genuinely hope is able to get healthy and be safe to play this game in the future - the Bears just fall a notch behind their Big 12 foes in my mind. As TCU starts to put it together on defense and Boykin keeps dazzling, the Horned Frogs a very real threat. And how's Boykin high-fiving Dana Holgorsen for a Heisman moment if Fournette falters?

Next Two In

5. Baylor - I think Stidham can be a solid quarterback for the Bears, but they'll need to prove that to the committee. I still don't think the Bears can play defense against a JV team, but if they manage to run the table in the wide-open Big 12, then they'll cruise to the playoffs without a worry. Still have to get by Oklahoma and then Oklahoma State and TCU back-to-back on the road. Not an easy task.

6. Bama - I don't necessarily think Bama deserves to be ahead of Sparty, but I think they'll get the nod from the committee. They'll have the chance to take back their title as the class of the SEC if they can stop Fournette, but that's a tall task. Coker has emerged and Henry is the best running back in college football not named Fournette or Elliott. Sparty is knocking on the door, but Bama is hot right now after losing to Ole Miss earlier in the year.

Reactions: GO!Bucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News