ADVERTISEMENT

Proctor - 6th year?

TGinn7LR

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2022
I saw that Proctor had only ST snaps against PSU. I don't foresee him playing major snaps for the rest of the year based on how well Ransom has played, unless injuries play a factor (knock on wood). Do we think he would entertain possibly coming back next year? He has the 2020 COVID year, 2021 injury which knocked him out all year, so really only 2018, 2019, and 2022. This question seemed silly to ask a few months ago, but with Ransom, Hickman, and McCallister all likely out the door, that safety room is thinner with only Stokes, Styles, and Martinez. A LOT of talent in that room, but a "safety driven defense" would love to have Proctor back imo. But I am purely speculating.

My .02:

Staff would probably love to have him back in veteran Special Teamer and certain packages on defense. That said, he would be one to watch enter into the portal and try to improve his draft stock with another year of starting elsewhere.

I think it’s time for him to move on one way or another. We could realistically be losing all 4 safeties.

Very interesting career arcs for Proctor, Kourt and Teradja. Hopefully, all 3 return next season.
The kourt situation is interesting because Knowles was saying he was not healthy enough to play but at the same time he was getting in at the end of blow outs. Seems to be more to that situation.

I believe the likelihood of Josh Proctor entertaining a transfer to play another year elsewhere to be quite low. He's mature enough to consider the possibility of using another season with Knowles, just like Tanner McCalister did. We'll see, but I think my money would be on him still taking his chance on measuring off the charts and trying to make an NFL roster next year.

I believe the likelihood of Josh Proctor entertaining a transfer to play another year elsewhere to be quite low. He's mature enough to consider the possibility of using another season with Knowles, just like Tanner McCalister did. We'll see, but I think my money would be on him still taking his chance on measuring off the charts and trying to make an NFL roster next year.
Using Spotrac’s projections, here’s the average salary in total value for players drafted in each round:

First round: $18.4 million
Second round: $6.9 million
Third round: $4.4 million
Fourth round: $3.3 million
Fifth round: $2.95 million
Sixth round: $2.8 million
Seventh round: $2.7 million

There isn't much compensatory difference between guys drafted in rounds 4-7, which is where I think an oft-injured, inconsistent, but toolsy guy like Proctor would probably go. If he was to return next season to play y6 and blow up, I don't know how much that would positively impact a 24 yo SAF. I think the only chance he had to go top 3 rounds was to have a stellar year this year. Instead, it's just another "lost" season. That said, I think Austin is right. As long as he gets drafted, I think he'll probably go.

I figured that would be a focus area and makes sense. Sometimes guys just want to move on and I totally get that. With the new NIL world, I would think though that there might be some "security blanket" to come back and get some $ and improve that draft status. I have seen that already play out in college basketball with guys that are like 2nd rounders, but come back because NIL is so strong.

Can he declare and still come back if he doesn't like the feedback / doesnt get drafted?

I figured that would be a focus area and makes sense. Sometimes guys just want to move on and I totally get that. With the new NIL world, I would think though that there might be some "security blanket" to come back and get some $ and improve that draft status. I have seen that already play out in college basketball with guys that are like 2nd rounders, but come back because NIL is so strong.

Can he declare and still come back if he doesn't like the feedback / doesnt get drafted?
He cannot. College football and the NFL would surely benefit from a similar rule as basketball, but that opportunity does not exist at this time.

He cannot. College football and the NFL would surely benefit from a similar rule as basketball, but that opportunity does not exist at this time.
Don't think it would work in football unless you change when the draft is.

Players declare and then teams fill that spot.

The draft would have to be moved to before spring practice for teams.

I don't see why he would portal if Hickman leaves.

If he gets word he will be drafted I think he goes to the NFL, if he isn't a lock to get drafted then come back to Ohio State where all 3 safeties will need replaced.

Remember it is not his decision. 5th/and or 6th years are up to the coaches. Unless coaches feel he will absolutely be a starter, there is no value in having a 6th year player sitting the bench tying up a scholarship.

Reactions: ClydeBuck
Ohio State has two 6th year players this year, Jerron Cage and Mitch Rossi. Neither are starters, but both provide a lot of value to the team, so I would definitely disagree with your point.
Cage is in regular rotation at DT. Rossi gets playing time at both TE & FB. His unique skill set makes him valuable even though he does not start. Proctor did not play field Saturday, just ST and has total of 18 snaps last 3 games. He has been here 5 years. Time to move on.

Reactions: Akoo
Cage is in regular rotation at DT. Rossi gets playing time at both TE & FB. His unique skill set makes him valuable even though he does not start. Proctor did not play field Saturday, just ST and has total of 18 snaps last 3 games. He has been here 5 years. Time to move on.
2 guys on roster that similar sized to Rossi and both walk-ons:

Zak Herbstreit - You know his name but he’s not playing TE at 6-2 243. Same size as Rossi, same attitude?

Riordin Stauffer - You DON’T his name, but also 6-1 242 and definitely looks the part. He looks like the kid of guy that will run through you, knock you on your a**, and truck the next defender to open a gap for the RB.

Just my two cents because Rossi plays a big role in our offense and we’ll need to find another clone of him for next year.

Reactions: Keith7456
2 guys on roster that similar sized to Rossi and both walk-ons:

Zak Herbstreit - You know his name but he’s not playing TE at 6-2 243. Same size as Rossi, same attitude?

Riordin Stauffer - You DON’T his name, but also 6-1 242 and definitely looks the part. He looks like the kid of guy that will run through you, knock you on your a**, and truck the next defender to open a gap for the RB.

Just my two cents because Rossi plays a big role in our offense and we’ll need to find another clone of him for next year.
Yes all the credit to Rossi for walking on, earning a scholarship for last year and this and playing more than some all-state guys.

Proctor isn't riding the bench because he's playing poorly... it's because Latham Ransom is playing so well. And Ransom, a junior, is almost certainly heading to the NFL next year, meaning that Proctor could very well be the best person on the team to replace him in 2023.

Proctor isn't riding the bench because he's playing poorly... it's because Latham Ransom is playing so well. And Ransom, a junior, is almost certainly heading to the NFL next year, meaning that Proctor could very well be the best person on the team to replace him in 2023.
If Ransom goes pro then my guess is Styles, Stokes & Martinez.

Since this is about a safety and I don’t want to start a new thread, I’m just going to say my .02 here.

what an amazing job Perry Eliano has done. This is a Perry Eliano appreciation post. He has done an amazing job and listening to how he coaches and cares for the safety room, it’s really remarkable. I think besides Knowles, he was the biggest hire on the off season.

Not sure Procter would start over Sonny Styles or Kyle Stokes even if he came back next year.

Teradja Mitchell is a fifth year COVID senior that only plays ST (when healthy) and isn’t anywhere near the depth chart at his position. If Proctor wanted to come back for a COVID year ( I doubt he would), I think the staff would welcome him back since the depth at safety will essentially be non-existent next year and Proctor is a mean dude on ST.

Proctor has a great chance to start next year. Hickman I think will go pro imo, Ransom could declare and Mccalister is gone. I see no reason why he wouldnt... He has talent. Why would anyone think we should move on? Worst case he would be the 4th best safety imo next year. And I think he will start.

Proctor has a great chance to start next year. Hickman I think will go pro imo, Ransom could declare and Mccalister is gone. I see no reason why he wouldnt... He has talent. Why would anyone think we should move on? Worst case he would be the 4th best safety imo next year. And I think he will start.
I think Ohio State would be thrilled to have him back. I think it’s unlikely that Proctor will elect to do so after five years.

I think Ohio State would be thrilled to have him back. I think it’s unlikely that Proctor will elect to do so after five years.
Is he for sure to get a draft grade? If he is told he will be a UDFA and those other players leave why wouldn't he want to go the Cage route?

Is he for sure to get a draft grade? If he is told he will be a UDFA and those other players leave why wouldn't he want to go the Cage route?
Because of the length of time he's been in school and his situation as a father. Maybe he will make a different decision, but I wouldn't count on it. His physical skills are just as likely to get him an opportunity now as they would next year.

Because of the length of time he's been in school and his situation as a father. Maybe he will make a different decision, but I wouldn't count on it. His physical skills are just as likely to get him an opportunity now as they would next year.
Thanks, feels like a coin flip to me. I don't see him as a graduate yet (that might change this December?) The NIL stuff might help an on the fence parent return to school when it otherwise wasn't a viable option in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT