ADVERTISEMENT

Putting this all in perspective

purplewreck

Hall of Famer
Sep 18, 2008
I'm disappointed football is canceled. I feel for the players, coaches and families of players who sacrificed and worked so hard to get to this point.

I've seen every range of emotion out of fans and heard some justifiable venom directed at the B1G. It sucks but there is one hell of a lot more to the B1G than a football season.

Anyone who thinks we need to walk from the B1G over this needs a reality check. As crazy as it sounds, its a lot bigger than sports.

$50M a year in revenue from the Big Ten TV contracts and pooled sports revenue. Big money, and yes, If OSU left to form a "super conference" we could probably get closer to $80M a year.

$10,000,000,000 is what we are walking away from if we leave.

The Big Ten Academic Alliance is a TEN BILLION dollar fund that funds a considerable amount of research conducted on OSU's campus. It also built and maintains several key library, licensing agreements and data networks that save member institutions tens of millions every year. To put a finer point on this, the Ivy League has just over $4B in their alliance, the UC system has under $4B for their entire network of schools. The B1G is much, much more than athletics and it was built over decades. It could not be replicated overnight, especially if we joined with programs who have shown no interest in building this type of collective funding model in their own conferences.

There is not a University president in the B1G who can justify walking away from that fund. Its why Nebraska was all hat and no cattle when they made their threat.

I can understand the rage but a lot of the big ideas talking heads and fans have proposed simply do not take the other functions of the B1G into consideration. As much as we identify OSU as a football powerhouse, the B1GAA is a large part of why Ohio State has a reputation as a leading research institution, something that was simply not the case 25-30 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News