ADVERTISEMENT

QB 2019 season discussion: JUCO needed or not ?

DUKENYC

Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
New York
Lets start off by stating the obvious, DH is gone and was tremendous, thank you.

For 2019 season, we reload but not sure with current crop of QB skill set, we can confidently say that. I think the spring game will make it clearer.

On our current roster we have Martell who is more JTB then Haskins. He isn't big either in height or weight so a heavy dose of running can easily put him out for several games.

Our backup was a gun slinger at Texas but had the ACL and hasn't played or practiced much I would guess in the last 18 months. He was a 3* which to me, would imply there are some holes in his game based on expert opinions.

Dwan Mathis is a freshman and should not be looked for any significant minutes in 2019.

Given all this backdrop and given that OSU seems to have more success with a throwing QB then a running QB (Cardale and Haskins vs. JTB). I don't want the thread to go down that hole again, just giving me opinion and stating the obvious.

I think OSU should and "will" look for insurance with a Grad JUCO. Think Russell WIlson type where he graduated and can play anywhere right away. I think Ryan Day will be smart and put the feelers out to any QB who fits this description to come and take a visit to the Woody and have a great shot at a lot of PT at one of the premier CF schools in America to showcase skills for the next level.

I think we need the insurance. I think the OOC sked is soft so we can make a run and I think the defense will carry the team next year with so many coming back. If we can have a decent game manager QB, we can make another run. Not to mention I think Day will want as many chips as possible to go 11-1 or 10-2 in his first year as opposed to putting all his eggs in Martells basket and risk 8-4 or 9-3. If the JUCO has to sit because Tate upped his game, then so be it, that's the risk the JUCO took and Day doesn't care because he had his insurance policy. To do nothing would be a bad move in my opinion. I don't think this type of player counts as a scholarship either. I could be wrong on that but if I am correct, its one more reason to do this.
Thoughts ?

Reactions: brutusdog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News