ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Thinking Huskers

Tom58

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2015
Wow that was fun… now let’s hope the kids can all stay healthy for 7 more! This game unfolded pretty much according to my pre-game expectations. I was able to get a short post into Kevin’s prediction thread and I had the game as possibly getting into the 50’s with the Huskers at 23.

I figured the Huskers would have the clear emotional advantage and they did, and they were able to keep it for most of the game. I did not think they would be able to control the LOS after the first few series, but they were relentless and neither side of the ball for OSU was able to establish the dominance I’d hoped for. In general, both sides of the ball up front for OSU have some work to do.

I was a bit concerned that Justin might come in too hot and make some mistakes, and those concerns were completely unfounded. He was on point and looked like mid-season form. And this was only game ONE, so buckle up this is gonna be fun.

I was very concerned about open field tackling and there were some gaffs but given how slippery Martinez, Mcaffery and Robinson are we did a better job than expected. I also expected the Huskers would have developed some semblance of a downfield passing threat and this didn’t happen. So the inexperience of the DBs wasn’t exposed, but I’m not sure it’s not an issue.

When the Bucks were on O

The Buckeye passing attack is absolutely lethal. Pass pro was generally good (as opposed to run blocking), and Fields carved the Husker D like a pumpkin. When his poise and accuracy is combined with the WR talent it is magical to watch. Jameson had a quiet day, but if/when he starts to make plays the passing attack will be all but unstoppable. Smith-Njiba and Fleming look ready NOW and if one more kid steps up we’ll have a 6 man rotation of fully complementary X, Z and Slot receivers. Wilson appears to be able to be AS reliable as Hill with significantly more athleticism. Olave is so fun to watch and ideal at the Z. If Jameson can establish himself he as the wheels to take the top off of any DB.

Unfortunately, the running game was stalled by some excellent play by Nebraska and inconsistent OL blocking up front. The key is to watch where the RB feet are when they come to first contact. All too often Saturday they were behind the LOS. Sorry folks but no amount of wiggle or vision are gonna fix that.

This problem is not unique in early games, and some damn fine RBs have looked like crap when it happens. I’m thinking Beanie Wells, Pittman and Zeke early in 15.

I expected MORE power run game schematically, where the TE as H back lead or pull. I also expected the interior OL to win the LOS and they lost way too often. I think that Nebraska decided to keep the box stacked and take their lumps in the air, and our play calling assumed they’d unload…. Which they didn’t.

As for the RBs: Sermon looked a bit tentative, and Teague was going down on first contact on the handful of plays where the OL opened a hole. This is the area he needs to improve on, and I’ll remain confident he can and the OL will get better as the season goes on.

The play calling and execution here need to improve significantly next week, b/c PSU has some dudes up front who will make 3rd and long a nightmare.

When the Bucks were on D

All in all this was a good effort, but the play up front was inconsistent in the middle and almost non-existent on the edge. Fortunately, the tackling in space was ok, the pursuit was excellent, and the Huskers lack enough playmaking depth to really threaten a team with as much offensive firepower as the Bucks. But they were effective moving the ball and hurt themselves as much or more than we stopped them.

Haskell clearly got pissed off after the second Husker series and started to take over his A gap, and then Togai seemed to get his game legs. But until then the interior of the DL was on roller skates.

One big concern going in was how we would generate pass pressure absent Chase, and that concern remains in spades going into un-Happy Valley. I never assumed Cooper was going to be THE ANSWER, but figured between Zach, Tyler, Javontae or Tyreke someone would at least flash…. But nada.

I also figured that the staff would supplement the pass rush by putting Browning’s hand in the dirt or simply SAM blitzing. They did neither and instead put him back in the middle where he has clearly demonstrated he doesn’t add much value… or worse. FWIW I thought Dallas Gant looked good in limited action and perhaps he can be no worse than Browning in the middle when Tuf comes off, and they can use Baron off the edge. He has shown he can make plays when used in that capacity. My hope is that A) the staff didn’t want to show that in a game it wasn’t needed and B) wanted to get some film on the kids to see how they progressed.

Final Thinking

Winning game one by 30 against a mid-level league opponent who was armed for revenge is one hell of a start. The staff has some great film to work with and a monster game coming up.

PSU basically gave the game away to IU, but in the process showed they have some dudes who can do some damage if we don’t address the shortcomings we showed on Saturday.

Go Bucks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News