ADVERTISEMENT

Resume as I prep for Indy

Tom58

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2015
The CFP Committee ranks each week based on their perception of a team’s resume. This is one of the best things they’ve established in the early going of the CFP as we learn a ton about the level of competition as the season unfolds. This was a huge problem with the old ranking system.

I wanted to try and do the same thing here, and use it to prep for my 24 Piece Tailgate forecast for the game this week.

So…. this is my look at our resume as we approach the midway point of the season.

I compiled the S&P+ From Football Outsiders, which is about as good a guide I know of the gauge how a given team is doing. I’ve added Indiana, so we can see how they match up….and record how they fare after we play them.

Note that this early in the season things are still in flux = Rutgers dropped 9 points from 95 to 104 after our game. Unfortunately, I don’t expect they will bounce back up this week.

jwa_9w92NVspdsZYrABqDVs4VgAxttQQSH6TcSR8PJrsDZ-SNKrOM9CLxPDvmM94bCKzsNd7laXPnA1_UhhZklaIzVokxT9n45TNEROJTiR-4Kk8KOhLk5XCWWWiCTMBuOaFLXj3

The most obvious takeaway is that claims about our Defense being the best of all time might be “a little” premature.

The D has been outstanding, and hasn’t reached their ceiling, but the competition has been lackluster outside of Oklahoma. That game was impressive - PERIOD!

The surprise to me, and is how Poorly Tulsa and BG have played on OFFENSE. Both teams returned a ton of experienced/productive talent on that side of the ball and I would have expected Top 50 and maybe higher.

Now some of this can be the limited sample, which is why I’ll try and do this each week, but we need to temper our enthusiasm for early entrance into the Hall of Fame for the D until we get some more data.

The Defenses we’ve played have all been WEAK…..Actually, Tulsa’s D is playing a tad better statistically than Okie on D which is also surprising. This may be one reason besides the weather we struggled early on offense. They may be a bit better on that side of the ball this season. That said 63rd is hardly Monsters of the Midway.

Conclusions

This team is playing outstanding FB in all facets of the game. You have to dig into the success rate on passing downs to find anything outside of the Top10.

While the competition has been mediocre across the board on D, the game in Norman was all that. The OKIES look to be a SOLID quality win on the road. Their O is what it was thought to be at the beginning of the season, and overall 89%tile is damn good. I would expect them to finish in this range and to beat Texas handily this weekend.

Unfortunately, our non-con wasn’t as good as we thought - at least measured to this point.

We did learn one important thing versus Rutgers. This team is taking the game seriously and playing with FAR more maturity than the more experienced vets from 2015. If they keep this mindset up, I have a hard time seeing a loss.

The game versus Indy looks to be MUCH more competitive than I thought coming into the season.

They are the most balanced team team we’ve played and may end up the most balanced team we will play until TTUN.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News