ADVERTISEMENT

Second Wiseman on Haskins

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
Second Wiseman has known Dwayne as long as anyone at Ohio State. You could say--in a way--that he is a big reason that Dwayne loves the Buckeyes, but that's a story for another day...

Here's what he had to say post BIG Championship...

"Been so much fun watching this young man develop. Different kid than the one who first set foot on campus as a freshman. That guy just relied on his arm to bail him out. Was a reluctant runner. A one read thrower. A poor student of the game to be frank.

During the bye week Dwayne and I had the opportunity to sit down and I asked him "how do you want to be remembered here?" Do you want to be known as the guy that went down easily--or the guy that kept fighting to the bitter end? The one dimensional talent or the complete QB? The flash in the pan or the OSU legend? Dwayne didn't say much in return but the look in his eye told me all that I needed to know.

Coach Meyer, Day and Wilson deserve all the credit for the way they brought him along from there. They sat down with Coach Hartline and revamped all the third down and red zone packages(which Brian oversaw this year for the first time). They convinced Dwayne that everything we wanted was right there--and that HE was the guy to lead this team.

What gets lost sometime in the "Why didn't they play Dwayne more last year" discussion is that he wasn't ready. Frankly, he was barely ready for big time competition this year. But like Troy in 2004--the "light went on" and the game suddenly became very slow for Dwayne.

He understand completely what he needs to do to move this offense--and right now he is doing it at a higher level than any of us have ever had the opportunity to witness.

He is still very very raw. And the shame is that the money is SO BIG that I'm not sure how he comes back.

But boy was it fun watching him these last few games.......not sure I will EVER see another run of QB play like that....."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News