ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering Buckeye Thoughts

DouglasDiLillo

Walk-on
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
I don’t want to go over every last misstep about the game, plenty of threads about that. Andrew’s was solid and I tend to agree with much of his assessment.

The overwhelming and sobering feeling I have is the realization that this team and program doesn’t have that high gear anymore. I can’t even put into words what I mean but I think back to games in the past… Michigan in 2016, PSU in 2017 and 2018, Clemson in 2020, Hell Michigan games for almost 2 decades and Ohio State could be in a game like tonight and all of a sudden they would hit that high gear and just prove in every facet they were superior.

When was the last time we played a great opponent and just snuffed them out? It felt like we did it a lot for 2 decades. We used to be mentally superior on top of being physically superior. Those days seem long in the rearview.

I have always wanted Ryan Day to succeed. He seems like a great person, not the ego maniac Urban seemed to be, but man he has turned OSU into a shell of its former self. We used to come out on nights like tonight and just bludgeon good teams like this. I know we were never perfect, but we sure had high points that seem fewer and fewer.

To try and pinpoint exactly where and what went wrong, I think it’s the trenches. We have never been better at the skill positions. But the lines on both sides have gotten more ordinary year over year since Day took over. This defensive line in particular, filled with talent and experience, was a no show tonight. Been no showing big games for multiple years now.

Sorry to ramble, sleep is eluding me tonight. This one just felt more sobering than some others. All we heard about was this loaded roster. In the end the offensive and defensive lines got outphysicalled. Feels like that’s a serious trend. Season is still undecided, and there is more room for error but from what I saw tonight, not sure if they can find that high gear that used to wipe good teams off the field. Go bucks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.