ADVERTISEMENT

Some OSU team nuggets...

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
The First Wiseman is not often heard from---but is back with some updates on what has been happening with OSU football...

"Things have been happening fast and furious with Ohio State football--lots of good---some bad, unfortunately.

The good starts with Kevin Wilson. What a breath of fresh air for the OSU offense in general and the passing game in particular. Has made things more complicated for the defense to diagnose, by making it more simple for the offense to execute--if that makes sense. Believes at his core that the best way to do this is by playing fast and not allowing offensive players to over think things---while giving the defense very little time to diagnose and figure out what is going on. Very simple concept. Dramatically different results when run in combination with the route combinations and passing concepts he has introduced. And the constraint plays--and the constraints off of constraint plays that he has introduced. Just a maestro.

Battle for the backup job reminds me a lot of "JT vs Cardale". Cerebral QB who does all the little things correct vs the big armed gun slinger who makes mistakes, but can make every throw on the field.

Then you toss in Martell who is Mr Excitement and you see why OSU is so excited about the QB position for years to come.

Everything I hear about Matt Burrell has been positive. Totally transformed his body and his mental approach to the game. Was just not serious about his craft until now. Now has totally bought in--and people are noticing the difference. He will play this year---and will more than likely be the first guy up after the starting five.

Kendall Sheffield is the real deal. Enjoy him while he is here as he won't be here for long. Can do it all in the defensive backfield and is equally adept at run support as he is in pass coverage. Very smart kid as well who just absorbs the defensive scheme and should make immediate impact.

The defensive line is truly eight deep---and there are lots to like about all of them. I may be in the minority here, but I think the guy who will make the most noise this season is Jalyn Holmes. Just "flashes" every time he is on the field. Always been an outstanding pass rusher but seems to have found another gear against the run as well. Again, lots to like about Bosa, Hubbard and Lewis--but Holmes gets my pick for most impactful this season...I just love everything about his game.

The bad? I don't expect to see Kevin Feder or AJ Alexander in uniform for the Buckeyes in the Fall. I never worry about getting to 85 scholarships for these very circumstances. Stuff happens. And it has happened to those two.

Kierre Hawkins is in grave danger of joining those guys as well....

Next man up."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News