ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Source: Gunnell entering 'decision mode'

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
On Sunday morning I mentioned that I was hearing through multiple channels that the official visit of Rivals100 quarterback Grant Gunnell was a major success. On Monday morning I was able to catch up with a source very close to Gunnell's recruitment who was able to relay to me the mindset of the four-star prospect now that he has had a chance to digest his official visit.

"It was a great visit," they shared. "It was almost overwhelming for Grant. He had such a great time talking with Urban Meyer and Ryan Day, breaking down film with them, just everything."

Gunnell's recruitment is hitting the home stretch, though a final and public decision may still be several weeks away.

"Right now, he's in decision mode," the source shared. "It was important to have some questions answered and I think he got that on the visit. At this point, Grant is going to buckle down and start spring practice this week and start thinking about where he's going to go to school."

"My sense is that (a decision) will come after the first Elite 11 cuts, after the top 25 gets cut down to 12," they continued. "That's June 1-3, I believe. He just doesn't want any distractions as he competes to be named to the Final 11."

But there is no question that Ohio State has moved to the forefront of this situation. The Buckeyes have hit it out of the park with Gunnell on his last two visits.

"The academics are outstanding and Grant is a high academic kid, so that's important to him," they shared on what has made OSU a force in this recruitment. "But a really big thing has been what coach Meyer is doing off the field, getting his players prepared for life after football. He has kind of taken the lead for the entire (coaching community). He is cracking the code on internships and kind of challenging the institution, if you will, and really getting opportunities for his players."

"It's competitive football at its highest, and that is important as well," they continued. "Grant believes coach Day is more than capable of helping him get to the next level. He does have aspirations of going to the NFL, but if he doesn't, he wants to make sure that he's setup for life after football."

My opinion here: Ohio State is going to land Gunnell by the middle of June.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News