ADVERTISEMENT

The Dynamics of Playcalling

Kirk Barton

Night King
Aug 8, 2015
Alot has been made recently about if Ed Warinner should head up into the coaching box to call plays...

We went through a much more dramatic funk in 2004, where we actually sent Bollman up to the box and brought John Peterson down to the field. John Peterson's OL background helped facilitate that. As you guys know, we played pretty well down the stretch despite our youth...

I'm not sure what they want to do in this situation, given that Ed has earned the stripe of being the "guy" as the head OC(the co-OC thing is just a resume builder). I don't think it's time to blow everything up, but the head duck won't be scared to if there isn't improvement.

I personally think it is very difficult to coach the offensive line and be the play caller. But I also think Ed can do it. I sat next to Tom Herman in the press box and helped let him know the fronts/blitzes we were seeing by down and field position.

To me, calling plays from the booth is like taking an SAT in a quiet/controlled room. Calling plays from the field is like taking the SAT in a mosh pit at a rock concert. It can be done, it is just harder to organize your thoughts/scripts for the next drive in the utter chaos that is the sideline.

I think Ed can do it. I really do. We have significant turnover on the offensive side when Tom and Stan Drayton left. This stuff takes time. Just my two cents. On a plane from Chicago, so if you have a few questions, fire away...

KB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News