ADVERTISEMENT

Football Three scores Ryan Day will check first after the Maryland game

Colin Gay

All-conference
Staff
Apr 10, 2017
Ryan Day admitted this week that he does pay attention to Ohio State's place in the national landscape of college football before going on with the whole mantra of "it's only about us," and "control what we can control."

"I always watch to see how the other teams are doing, see what;’s going on in the national landscape. But it’s more important about us. It’s always been about us: how hard we play. You can’t control any of that stuff. All you can control is how much better we get. And if we continue to get better, grow as the season goes on, then we will be tough to beat at the end of the season."

So this made me think: what games will Day first look up after his game against Maryland? What should Ohio State fans keep their eyes on Saturday?

Here's a few games that come to mind.

I'll also add my picks against the spread for the hell of it. (All lines are from BetMGM)

No. 3 Iowa vs. No. 4 Penn State: 4 p.m. Fox

Obviously, this is the big one. This is the one that defines the landscape of the Big Ten. Whoever wins this is immediately the favorite to make the CFP. And if Penn State wins this game, I believe the game that could be Ohio State's reemergence back into the CFP picture would move up to Oct. 30. If Iowa wins, things for the Buckeyes remain a bit hazy through the regular season, but those big games remain huge: Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan. Ohio State's chances on a playoff berth doesn't come down to this game. But the overall path — no matter how narrow it may be — will be much more defined after this one.

My pick: Iowa +2

No. 8 Michigan at Nebraska: 7:30 p.m. ABC

Again, not a shock here, but this one looks to be a lot closer than what it seems to be on paper. Nebraska is 3-0 at home this season, and while its rush defense hasn't been spectacular — allowing 122.2 yards per game — the Cornhuskers have only allowed three rushing touchdowns all season long. Michigan can't be one-dimensional against the Cornhuskers, but it's going to try to, bringing in the Big Ten's top-ranked rushing attack with 22 of its 35 touchdowns scored on the ground game. Add a quarterback in Adrian Martinez line that seems to be finding some life, especially with his legs, and this has the makings of a classic trap game.

My pick: Nebraska +3

No. 5 Oklahoma vs. No. 23 Texas: 12 p.m. ABC

Yeah, this a big one. There's a lot of folks out there that believe Oklahoma is on the brink of losing, possibly keeping the Big 12 on the outside looking in at the end of the year. Texas' strength —Bijan Robinson — is matching up with Oklahoma's strength: a run defense that allows 83.6 yards per game, 2.7 yards per carry and four touchdowns. But it looks like Spencer Rattler could have an opportunity for a sort of coming out party: facing a Texas pass defense that allows opposing quarterbacks to complete 73.8% of passes, the highest in the Big 12, for 224.2 yards per game. It's also a pass defense that has only recorded three interceptions in five games. In my humble opinion, I don't think Oklahoma loses this week.

My pick: Oklahoma -3

Five other picks:
No. 22 Arizona State vs. Stanford: Stanford +13
No. 11 Michigan State at Rutgers: Rutgers +5.5 (Using Caesars)
No. 7 Ohio State vs. Maryland: Ohio State -21 — you guys will get the actual score prediction tomorrow morning
No. 2 Georgia at No. 18 Auburn: Georgia -15
No. 1 Alabama at Texas A&M: Alabama -17.5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News