ADVERTISEMENT

24 Pieces for Rutgers

Tom58

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2015
Actually this is more like a $5 Snack Box

Wow this is the game I've been waiting for... no that was two weeks ago... or maybe two weeks or two months down the road.. This game is a scrimmage, and so be it.

It may be another positive aspect of the 2016 schedule that's been perfect so far.

After dominating our first 3 opponents by a combined score of 170 to 37, we had an early BYE.

The consensus is that even though the D didn’t allow the first offensive TD until 4:30 left in the second quarter of the 3rd game while scoring 4 of their own, and the offense leads the NCAA in efficiency (Success Rate on all possessions this season).... the team has/had lots of things to improve on. Alrighty then!!

Rutgers on the other hand is 2-2, and maybe the most unimpressive 0.500 record in the NCAA. The highlight might be playing Iowa tough, and as most are aware that tough loss was really painful as they lost their #1 playmaker on offense and dynamic pass rusher on D.

FINAL SCORE: Who Really Cares? 55-17

Storyline: The coaching history with Ash and Schiano is the obvious media story, but the real story here is that BOTH teams could use a scrimmage and that's exactly what we will have Saturday.

Ash has said that his team is at the base of the Football equivalent of Mazolw's Hierarchy (Pyramid), where they are still learning to COMPETE.

Once they get through this stage... it's onto winning, winning when you should, winning when the team is as good or better, winning big games, winning championships, winning championships on a regular basis.

The Bucks are at the top of Mazlow's Football Pyramid, and they are looking to fine tune some things.

Both teams run the exact same offense and defense, so this game is effectively the SPRING GAME with worse weather.

Objective #1: No Injuries to either team. Objective #2: Both teams learn lessons that will help them in their future games.

When the Bucks are on D

The first 3 opponents finished 4th, 6th and 21st in Scoring O in 2015 and averaged 43.5 (OU), 42.2 (BG) and 37.2 (Tulsa).

Rutgers finished 78th at 27.1 points and 325 yards per game in 2015, and after 4 games this season are at 27.5... sometimes stats lie... but not here!

Their running game has improved but not enough to matter, as their #1 speed guy outside is hurt.

Expect the D to be stout. The only concern, or thing to look for, is guys at all 3 levels trying to do too much and forcing plays that aren't there... b/c they were there before or they just can't help it.

I'll go with a total of 8 Sacks/Turnovers, which is what Stupid Tony predicted on The Ozone predictor LoL.

This may be another game where the D outscores the opponents O.

When the Bucks are on O

I expect an efficient scrimmage with some lulls as they work on the intermediate and deep passing game which is not a strong point against.

My crystal ball says McClaurin and Campbell have some big plays, but it will be a super committee as none of the guys has separated but all have made some catches/plays.

The important thing is to see if they can do it from the Z position, not the H/Slot. We need to start beating the corner/safety to the outside.

If the OL comes out flat and/or we run zone blocking into a stunting DL, then the running game could stall early as the Rutgers interior is stout.

FINAL THOUGHT

I'll repeat Objective #1: NO ONE GETS HURT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News