ADVERTISEMENT

Bluebloods in college basketball

KyleLamb

Jun 13, 2018
Been doing a ton of research to come up with a ranking system for college hoops programs. Will be using a variety of criteria (adjusted win percentage, AP poll rank, postseason finish, etc.). In the meantime, the college hoops bluebloods have generally been considered UK, KU, UNC, Duke, UCLA and Indiana. After some of my research has been done, I would add a seventh (Louisville) in that mix.

Anyhow...

AP Poll rank all time (using reserve order of finish...25 points for 1st, 24 points for 2nd, 23 for 3rd, etc.). AP Polls have been coming out weekly since 1948-49 season. 1,184 total. For a period of time in the 60s, they only ranked the top-10.

Here is all-time rank of NCAA Tournament finishes. This scoring system is a modified version of the one used for the Director's Cup standings run by CoSIDA. In my version, instead of using a 100-25 scale, I have used 50-7. 50 points for 1st, 43 for runner-up, 36 for a Final Four, 29 for Elite 8 (or final 8), 22 for Sweet 16 (or regional semis), 15 for Round of 32 and 7 for Round of 64.

If you prefer tournament credits rather than place of finish (I don't because all wins count the same including some consolation games and early rounds), then here is the top 15 in all-time credts (appearances + wins)

1. UK
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. KU
5. UCLA
6. UL
7. Syracuse
8. IU
9. Villanova
10. MSU
11. UConn
12. Arizona
13. Ohio St.
14. Michigan
15. Cincinnati

Anyhow, the local takeaway here is that Ohio State is very much a borderline top-10 program all-time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News