ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Ohio State, efficiency and NCAA runs

KyleLamb

Jun 13, 2018
Had some discussion with some friends in the analytics community about combined offensive and defensive efficiency ranking and how likely teams are to advance based on the combined ranking. As I enjoy doing, I wanted to look it up.

I went back 12 years using the end-of-regular-season data from Bart Torvik's site and assigned each team into a group based on the combined ranking. I did 10 groups in intervals of 20.

Here are the winning percentages by round of each group/bucket:

ERloQWMW4AEWgfd

Group 1 teams have not lost in the first round and are 28-4 in the second. Almost two thirds of Group 1 teams get into the Elite 8, at least.

Group 2 teams, as you can see, are 76-9 in the first round and about two thirds of Group 2 teams get into the Sweet 16, at least.

Meanwhile, Group 3 teams win 82 percent of their first ground games but it really trails off after that. Only about a third advance to the second weekend.

Only about half of Group 4 teams advance to the second round with less than a third getting to the Sweet 16.

If you take the current rankings, here are the groups (Ohio State has been teetering back and forth between Group 2/3. They're technically in 3 right now in Torvik and Group 2 if you use Pomeroy).

Group 1: Duke & Kansas
Group 2: Arizona, Baylor, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St. and San Diego St.
Group 3: Dayton, Florida St., Gonzaga, Houston, Louisville, Maryland, Penn St. and Texas Tech
Group 4: Butler, Colorado, Creighton, Illinois, Marquette, Minnesota, Purdue, Seton Hall, Villanova, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Group 5: BYU, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers & Utah St.

In either event, this precedent suggests an 80-90% chance of Ohio State winning its first game and between 50-70% of getting to at least the Sweet 16.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News