ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Basement and Water issues

Clevelandsportsfan

Walk-on
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2015
Wadsworth, OH
So long story here, but wondering if there are any experts here with any advice.

I bought my house in 2010, in early 2012 I went downstairs and my finished basement would have water gush out of the carpet every step you took. I continued to have problems (Had carpet squares so I would take out, run dehumidifiers/clean, put back down, rinse/repeat). In 2013 I had that side of the house foundation dug up (done by a family friend), tarred on the outside, increased the amount of rock/gravel under above the footer tiles, ripped out old basement, coated walls with water proof sealant on the inside and re-did the basement.

Last year put in luxury vinyl flooring, noticed more water coming in. So I disconnected two of the downspouts near the problem areas (South part of house), trenched out lines, drilled holes in the top of some schedule 40 PVC pipe and ran new lines out the back of my yard to a dry ditch. This seemed to correct the problem.

I was just cleaning out some built in storage in the unfinished side of the basement, noticed water on the cinderblocks, and have determined this is caused by poor gutter design where the garage roof (very steep) meets the house, and the run off overflows the gutter. I'm going to upgrade to 6" gutters at this spot.

I'm starting to notice small spots of water on the east wall of my finished side of my basement (The side that was dug up/tarred) again.

My question is 2 fold:

1) should i increase gutter size on the entire house to 6 inches (would this help?) and
2) Should I contact an actual company to come out and assess (or should I do gutters first) and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks !

Reactions: BuckRodgers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News