ADVERTISEMENT

Wrapping up big recruiting weekend, status check on 2020 class

Alex Gleitman

Junior
Jul 8, 2019
Welcome back for another edition of “A-Deck” at BuckeyeGrove.com, where I’ll bring you thoughts, what I’m hearing, inside scoop, tidbits, and more for Ohio State recruiting and team coverage, every Wednesday.

In last week’s A-Deck, we previewed an upcoming college decision for a top Buckeyes target, talked with a source about how a current Ohio State freshman is progressing, brought a Central Ohio prospect into the spotlight, and looked back at the win over th

This week, we take a look at the state of the 2020 class and break down the big recruiting weekend that was.

COWAN IN, NOW WHAT?

Charlotte (N.C.) Providence Day 2020 defensive lineman Jacolbe Cowan committed to Ohio State over others on his 30+ offer list last Friday, and thanks to Marc Givler, BuckeyeGrove had boots on the ground for full coverage, which you can find here, here, here, and here.

With Cowan in the fold, the Buckeyes now have 23 commitments. With a class that could go as high as 27 or 28, and knowing that Jake Seibert could either delay enrollment or pay his own way during his freshman season, that leaves room for about 4 to 5 more players to join the class.

At quarterback the Buckeyes have Jack Miller, but would like to add one more, and Rancho Cucamonga (Ca.) signal caller CJ Stroud is the top target. More on him in the below segment, but right now things are looking like Stroud could join the class sometime in the next couple of months. What does that do for Miller? The company line has been that it won’t impact him, but OSU will certainly have to work through that situation until they sign both guys.

The Scarlet and Gray still don’t have any running backs in this class, and they ideally wanted two coming into the cycle. With numbers being what they are, and growing confidence in both Marcus Crowley and Steele Chambers, not to mention Master Teague, the staff could shift to only taking one player, although I still think they’d like to add two if they can. Right now, I believe that Georgia Tech commit Jahmyr Gibbs may be emerging as the top target on the board, and Tony Alford was down to see him earlier this week already. Trying to lure Gibbs to Columbus for a visit before that is determined may be a reason things seem to be going a bit slower with Miyan Williams and Kevontre Bradford, but those two are certainly still in play, and could be targeted alongside Gibbs, or in place of him, depending on how things play out and in which direction the staff decides to go. I think Ohio State does like all three of these guys and they’re taking their time, while they have it (no rush on the prospects’ end right now), to try and sort everything out. There will still be other names mentioned here (EJ Smith, Mike Drennen), but right now I think those are the big three, with the caveat that recruiting is fluid.

At wide receiver, tight end and offensive line, the Buckeyes appear to be done, and are very happy with what they have there.

On the defensive line, Cowan joins Darrion Henry and Ty Hamilton, but I think Ohio State would like to add one more if they can. They will definitely be selective, though, and won’t just take anyone, as Mitchell Melton could potentially move to end. Tyler Baron (discussed below as well) is certainly an option and this weekend’s visit went well. There are some other uncommitted players OSU is looking at, but if they want anyone else, they might have to get their spatula out.

Linebacker should be pretty set with Melton, Cody Simon, and Kourt Williams, who will be more of a bullet type in the current defensive scheme. Nothing more to see here.

At defensive back, Clark Phillips, Lejond Cavazos, and Lathan Ransom (and possibly Cameron Martinez) will likely see one more, if not two more players added here. Ryan Watts is a top corner target and I have that one happening for the Buckeyes. Can they flip Elias Ricks from LSU? Very unlikely at this point, but they will try. Jaiden Francois recently decommitted from Miami (FL) and is an option if the staff wants to pursue another player outside of Watts, although Francois is more of a safety than a corner at the next level.

All that being said, I will look for Ohio State to add another quarterback (Stroud), two running backs (Gibbs/Williams/Bradford), a cornerback (Watts), and then possibly another defensive lineman or an additional defensive back to finish off the class, as things stand on October 9.

WRAPPING UP A BIG RECRUITING WEEKEND

Ohio State hosted a long list of talented prospects from all over the country this past weekend, and I wanted to wrap a bow on what I started Sunday night with some early notes, with some more detail on a number of players who came to campus.

2020 QB CJ Stroud:
He announced the offer on Tuesday after Mike Yurcich paid him a visit out in California. It is now game-on for Stroud when it comes to Ohio State, and I have to imagine they’ve had the conversations they need to with Jack Miller before extending this offer and telling Stroud he has the green light to Tweet it out. I don’t see anything happening imminently here, as I think the plan now is to get Stroud back for an official visit, and I’m hearing the target is the weekend of November 23 for the Penn State game. Oregon and Baylor are definitely players here, but from everything I’m hearing, I expect the pick to be the Buckeyes, following this weekend’s very successful visit.

2020 RB Kevontre Bradford:
While there hasn’t been a ton of buzz out there on this visit, I am hearing it went well for both sides. From what I gather, I don’t think Ohio State is ready to go “all-in” on Bradford, or really any other running back target just yet, and they are still working through prioritizing who they want at the position and working through the numbers. That could come back to bite them in the end, as a guy like Bradford could just pick up and commit to Wisconsin or LSU (if he’s a take) instead of waiting for the staff, but it seems the Texas-native is in no rush himself, so things could definitely work out here. Normally, with a visit like this, you would see OSU push for a quick commitment, sealing the deal on the visit. That wasn’t the case here, but both sides are OK with that. While I don’t have the odds as high on Bradford becoming a Buckeye as I did ahead of this visit, I do think it’s absolutely still a possibility that he ends up in the class. The running back situation is very fluid right now, and so just keep watching this one.

2020 DE Tyler Baron:
The other official visitor outside of Bradford, I heard this visit went extremely well. Baron was a “lock” to Tennessee a few months ago, but with the future not looking so great in Knoxville and for Jeremy Pruitt, the door has been opened for other programs to jump in. I’m told Ohio State and Kentucky were the most likely destinations for Baron if it wasn’t Tennessee, and I now hear that the Buckeyes may indeed be the top choice after this weekend’s visit. It seems like Baron may take his time with a decision, that was originally scheduled for later this month, and that’s definitely fine for the Ohio State staff. I think, while he’s one of a few highly-ranked uncommitted defensive end targets out there, there are some mixed opinions on if they want to go all in on this one, but it ultimately could be a Larry Johnson and/or Ryan Day call in the end. I would expect Baron to get to Lexington, and possibly some other places, before any decision is made.

2021 WR/DB Lorenzo Styles:
Another good visit for the Pickerington Central star to Ohio State, and there’s really nothing more that the Buckeyes can be doing here. Communication and relationship is strong, ability to help Styles succeed at either receiver or corner is clearly there, and a chance to win conference and national titles is certainly something you can accomplish in Columbus. Something Ohio State cannot control is location, and there are some that feel Styles may want to get out of the confines of his hometown and “grow as a person and player” in a different environment. I think this is something Styles continues to struggle with and has gone back and forth with during the process thus far. If it’s not the Buckeyes, I do think it will be Notre Dame, where Styles is visiting this weekend, so OSU will have to just try to continue to show the four-star prospect the love that they have been and hope that “not wanting to staying home” won’t outweigh all of the other positives they bring to the table.

2021 RB Donovan Edwards:
Don’t have a ton on this one, but I did hear it was another good visit for the guy who may be the program’s top 2021 target. I think Michigan may still have the slight lead here, and not being able to take Makari Paige (Edwards’ teammate) earlier in the process definitely hurt the Buckeyes in this one, but OSU has more than a shot. It will be a battle with the Maize and Blue throughout the process, but ght now I still have the Buckeyes needing to do some work to turn this one in their favor.

2021 DT Damon Payne:
The defensive tackle from Michigan was in The Horseshoe this weekend and I have heard some great things about this visit. I think Ohio State has been in a really good spot for a while and I would go as far to say they are the team to beat right now. It’s pretty early, though, and I don’t think Payne is rushing to a decision, so the Scarlet and Gray just needs to keep momentum in this one. Larry Johnson did work here over the weekend, though.

2021 WR Beaux Collins:
I have Ohio State as the team to beat following this weekend’s visit, which just reinforced all the feelings the California-native had for the program after his visits this spring and summer. Collins has a sister that goes to college in Ohio, so him going away from home won’t be an issue for the family, and it will also provide opportunities for the standout junior to visit Columbus on his own dime fairly frequently. Not sure when Collins will make a college decision, but the Buckeyes are definitely in the driver’s seat right now.

2021 S Hunter Wohler:
I don’t expect a decision until maybe the spring or next summer, but I do think this is an Ohio State vs. Wisconsin battle for the Wisconsin-native. This could be a case of head vs. heart, as Wohler was brought up in Badgers country and there is definitely a lot of pressure to stay home. This was the second visit for Wohler to Columbus, after camping over the summer, and I think he continues to be impressed with everything Ohio State has to offer. Not ready to call this one way or another, but the Buckeyes are definitely a player in a recruitment that is traditionally an automatic Wisconsin win.

2021 TE Hudson Wolfe:
The first visit to Ohio State for the Rivals Top 50 prospect, went extremely well. The campus, atmosphere, facilities, all that really impressed Wolfe, but the time he spent with Kevin Wilson and other staffers, breaking down how they used him, that stood out to the kid and his family the most. I still think he ends up staying in the South/SEC, but the Buckeyes definitely put themselves in the top group he’s considering. They now have to try and get him back for a visit in the off-season.

2021 WR Troy Stellato:
This kid may be the hottest prospect in America, as he’s picking up offers from nearly everyone. That will make it very hard to win this recruitment, but Ohio State is off to a nice start, having hosted him over the weekend. I’m told from a source that this visit went very well and was a great first step in OSU being able to land him next cycle. That said, there is still a way to go, so ideally you get him back for an unofficial in the winter or spring and then for an official in the summer or fall, depending on what his timeline is. Too early to say something more definitive right now, but there’s no doubt Ohio State made themselves a major player for Stellato moving forward with this weekend’s visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News